Rhode Island Songwriters Association Performing Songwriters Contest
The Rhode Island Songwriters Association (RISA), in collaboration with the Stone Soup Folk Arts Foundation, is sponsoring the 2016 Performing Songwriter Contest to encourage the proficiency in the craft of songwriting and the art of performing. Entrants will submit two songs for consideration. Three finalists will be selected to perform their songs live on May 14, 2016 at Stone Soup Coffeehouse in Pawtucket RI. (Tret Fure will be the headliner) The songs may be from any genre of music, and will be performed by the original songwriter, performing the songs in a solo manner.
The winner will receive a compensated opening appearance at Stone Soup Coffeehouse during the 2016-2017 Season. Stone Soup Coffeehouse presents the finest up and coming and well known folk, Americana, Celtic, Bluegrass and traditional musicians touring today. This is a great opportunity to open for a name act and have your music heard in a well respected venue, Stone Soup Coffeehouse.
- Entrants will submit two songs for consideration. Each song will be submitted via a MP3 format performance by the songwriter, along with a lyrics sheet in MS Word Document format for each song. The Lyrics sheets must include the authors name and address, daytime phone number, and email contact information. Because this is a Performing Songwriter Contest, it is strongly encouraged that the recording highlight the performer in a solo performance, without a lot of additional instrumentation.
- The competition will be limited to solo performing songwriters, performing their own material. If more than one person is credited with the writing of the song only one of them may present the song, and only the entrant will be awarded the prize.
- Songwriters who have been signed to a bona fide record label are not eligible for the competition. Performing Songwriters who have released a self-produced CD which is not affiliated with a bona fide record label are allowed.
- Three independent music industry professionals will be the Judges to review the songs and select the top three entrants.
- Finals – Finalist must be able to appear at the Stone Soup Coffeehouse for the finals competition on May 14, 2016. All contestants entering the finals will be judged on their performance skills, stage presence and songwriting ability based upon their performance of their two songs on the evening of the Finals at Stone Soup Coffeehouse, preceding the Stone Soup Concert. Contestants will perform solo, without supporting musicians or vocalists.
- The winner of the competition will be booked for a compensated opening slot in the Stone Soup Coffeehouse 2016-2017 season.
- The contest is open to all members of RISA for free. Non members of RISA may enter the contest with a $25.00 entry fee, which includes an individual membership in RISA. SUBMISSION DEADLINE IS MARCH 31, 2016
- RISA members may submit their entry form along with mp3 and document attachments via email to
. Non RISA members may submit a CD containing mp3s and documents along with their entry form and a check for $25.00 for entry and a one year RISA membership made out to RISA via mail to:
RISA Performing Songwriter Contest
C/O Joanne Lurgio
PO Box 9246
Warwick, RI 02889